Announcement

Collapse

We've updated our Privacy Policy in response to the new data privacy standards introduced by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

We have updated our Privacy Policy to comply with GDPR.
Meaning:
All new members have to agree on registration that we store some of your personal data like emails,names,ip addresses in our database.
If you have further questions about the new GDPR rules you can use the Contact Us link below the forum.
These updates will take effect on May 25, 2018 and by using MegaThemer.net on or after that date, you'll be agreeing to our new Privacy Policy.
See more
See less

My System Specs And Win 8.1.1 - Copied From My Thread On EightForums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My System Specs And Win 8.1.1 - Copied From My Thread On EightForums

Hello I have attempted several times now to install Win 8.1.1 on a secondary partition on my main drive and it gets to "setup is starting" and sits there. I have use of the mouse, but the little circle that would normally spin isn't spinning, but it will move if i move the mouse. I have given up to 15 minutes for windows to get past the "setup is starting" screen and take me to the next stage. Any thoughts and or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Hi-lited drive is my main drive.

Summary
    Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    RAM 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (6-6-6-18)
    Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC. Maximus Formula (LGA775)
    Network 2 Marvell 88E8056 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controllers
    Graphics HP W2371d (1920x1080@60Hz) 640MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS (NVIDIA)
    Audio Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Express Card
    Mouse Microsoft 3500
    Keyboard Logitech V220
    Storage
    298GB Seagate ST3320620AS ATA Device (SATA)
    465GB Seagate ST3500830AS ATA Device (SATA)
    279GB Western Digital WDC WD3000GLFS-01F8U0 ATA Device (SATA)
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 ATA Device (SATA)
    465GB Seagate ST3500830AS ATA Device (SATA)
    1397GB Seagate ST315005 41AS USB Device (USB 3.0)
    Optical Drives TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223Q ATA Device
    Eaton USB 3.0 2 Port PCI Express Rxtensible Host Controller Attached Thumbnails

- - - Updated - - -

Dorlan2001 wrote

Probably the ISO file you downloaded was corrupted or the DVD is damaged and it cannot read properly, because it seems you can run Windows 8.1 Update just fine and the installation should be smooth. My thought is that maybe you cannot get past that screen because of those issues!

Hope this helps!
    - - - Updated - - -

i'd have to say no cause it installs in vmware and virtualbox without any issues. later i'm going to try turning off the usb 3.0 drive and see if windows trying to read that io card or the drive during setup is may be causing 8.1.1 to hang. thanks for the idea though, if i hadn't run 8.1.1 in vm i would of been inclined to agree with you.

- - - Updated - - -

topgundcp wrote

Looking at the screen shot of your disk management, I do not see the Windows 7 100MB reserved partition. From the Folder Options, can you turn on "Show Hidden Files" & Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and look in each of your HD's to see if you have a boot folder, bootmgr, BOOTNXT as shown in the screen shot below

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by topgundcp
    Looking at the screen shot of your disk management, I do not see the Windows 7 100MB reserved partition. From the Folder Options, can you turn on "Show Hidden Files" & Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and look in each of your HD's to see if you have a boot folder, bootmgr, BOOTNXT as shown in the screen shot below

that's because i'm running 64 bit not 32 bit, plus at least vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 are set to locate the boot.ini no matter where on the main drive it's on.

- - - Updated - - -

that's because i'm running 64 bit not 32 bit, plus at least vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 are set to locate the boot.ini no matter where on the main drive it's on

topgundcp wrote

FYI: It does not matter whether you use 32 or 64 bit. There's no boot.ini since Windows Vista, they are now using BCD (Boot Configuration Data) so I don't know what you are talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

i have never had 7 create the system reserved partition. plus 8.1 should be searching the entire drive for the boot info from 7 to add it to 8.1's boot loader.

- - - Updated - - -

i have never had 7 create the system reserved partition. plus 8.1 should be searching the entire drive for the boot info from 7 to add it to 8.1's boot loader.

QUOTE:
    "If you have ever installed Windows by yourself, you may have run into the situation where Windows setup tells you it’s going to create a System Reserved partition for system files. The size of this partition is 100 MB. The exact prompt is

"To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for system files."

You only get this dialog and this additional system reserved partition in certain scenarios. Normally, if you click OK at the prompt, your partitions will look like this:

"

- - - Updated - - -

QUOTE:

"How to Remove System Reserved Partition?

Like I mentioned before, you can’t remove it on an existing installation of Windows. However, you can choose not to create it when you are installing Windows on a new system. There are a couple of ways to do this.
    1. Use Existing Partitions - Windows will only create the system reserved partition if you create a new partition on a disk that has no partitions created. It will also create it if you delete all the current partitions on the disk and then create a new one. If you want to avoid the extra partition, just use whatever partitions are already on the system. To do a clean install, you can just format an existing partition instead of deleting all partitions.

2. Partition Before Installing – The second way to do it is to use a third-party tool or a different Windows installation disk (like Windows XP or Windows Vista) and partition the disk before you start the Windows 7 setup. If you only have the Windows 7 DVD with you, there is a way to do it, but it require a little more work."

i use partition wizard during boot to run 3 wipes on the drive and then partition it then install windows. this is why i don't have a system reserved partition.

- - - Updated - - -

topgundcp wrote

Let me QUOTE back to you:
    1. You have marked all your disks as Active which is incorrect. The only disk should be marked as Active is disk 3 where you have your Windows installed, Please read this:
      Mark a partition as active - Microsoft Windows Help
    2. It is true that you can install Windows without the reserved partition provided:
      a - You created & Formatted the disk/partition prior to run the installation
      b - The disk that you install Windows must be set to be the 1st boot priority in the BIOS, and preferably
      connected to the first sata port on the MB then the BCD will be stored in C: drive with
      Windows (boot, bootmgr,BOOTSECT.NT, BOOTSECT.BAK)
    3. However, if you do step 2 without step 2b, then Windows will silently use the first disk that you set to 1st priority in the BIOS as the reserved partition, put the BCD there and mark the disk Active. And that's the reason why I asked you to look for where the BCD is being stored. Windows 8 installation is able to detect that you have another Windows installed but might not be smart enough to know where to look for the BCD if it's not on the same disk/partition.

Hope this helps !!!

- - - Updated - - -

no the bcd is on c win 7 i know cause i disconnect all other drives every time in install windows unless i'm installing another instance of windows next to the current one. as for marking the first partition of the other drives microsoft is wrong. you always mark the first partition of a drive as active.
    sigpic

Re: My System Specs And Win 8.1.1 - Copied From My Thread On EightForums

Have you got this figured out yet? Hope so...

My only suggestion is allowing more than the 15 minutes you mentioned to move on to next screen???

Join us at deviantart.com - -Click on logo..

Upload and share at our new YouTube channel - - Click on logo..

Comment

i just put it back in vm and still no problem. so it's either your suggestion Hammerjack turning off the usb 3.0 drive and or just leaving the master hdd hooked up during install. i've run extensive test on all my hardware and alls good. i'll holler if i still get no love.
      Last edited by beagleman; 03-06-2014, 04:40.
      sigpic

Comment

My 8.1.1 install was kind of a pain as well, basically unplugged everything that wasn't needed, dug up my old PS2 mouse and keyboard and installed from 8Gb USB flash drive on the USB2 ports since I've always had issues with the USB3's. Took about 20 mins which I thought was weird since win7 was up and running in under 15mins. But I also do fresh installs on wiped SSD's and haven't tried to dual boot or set up any partitions since I don't usually stay on one OS very long lol. eightforums is a good place to ask though, hopefully they can help if some here aren't able to

Comment

Pretty useful...

Comment

Working...
          X