Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft confuses Windows 7 users with sudden release of KB 2952664

http://www.infoworld.com/article/260...b-2952664.html

Eagle-eyed Windows 7 users are wondering what's up with KB 2952664, an "important" patch that arrived unannounced a few hours ago. The short answer: Nobody seems to know much about it -- and the ones who do aren't talking publicly.

Featured Resource

Presented by Scribe Software
    10 Best Practices for Integrating Data
    Data integration is often underestimated and poorly implemented, taking time and resources. Yet it
    Learn More

Here's what I've been able to piece together:
    • The patch was distributed automatically via WSUS, the corporate Windows updating mechanism. It does not appear on at least some Windows Update/Microsoft Update lists -- although that may be a reflection of the normal rolling update timing.
    • The release date, April 22, falls into the usual cycle of fourth-Tuesday nonsecurity updates. (In the normal course of events, Microsoft tries to release security patches on the second Tuesday of the month, and nonsecurity patches on the fourth Tuesday.)
    • The only description I can find for the patch is in the KB article: "This update helps Microsoft make improvements to the current operating system in order to ease the upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows... The global version of this update installs files that have the attributes that are listed in the following tables." The tables include about 30 programs, most of which are compatibility checkers and System Database files, which typically contain large amounts of setup data.

Why is Microsoft running the patch down the update chute? Not a clue in the official online docs. I'm speculating that the patch may be related to a recent change in Windows 8.1 upgrade behavior. In the past, if you have Windows 8, you went through the Windows Store to get Windows 8.1 and then into Windows Update (Microsoft Update, WSUS) to get Windows 8.1 Update. That changed recently, so upgrading via the Windows Store takes a Windows 8 machine directly to Windows 8.1 Update. (t/h ScottF)
    Other than that, I don't know of any reason why Microsoft would be changing the upgrade mechanism.
    If you have no intention of invoking the "upgrade experience to the latest version of Windows" (presumably an in-place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 and/or Windows 8.1 Update), there appears to be no compelling reason to install the patch.
    This story, "Microsoft confuses Windows 7 users with sudden release of KB 2952664," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Get the first word on what the important tech news really means with the InfoWorld Tech Watch blog. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.

It installed for me and I am not having any issues. Yet??

Re: Microsoft confuses Windows 7 users with sudden release of KB 2952664

Some strange things happen here
    When I check for updates,my windows are up to date,although this update failed to be installed but never got an error message as it usually happens
    There is no link in MS site to download it manually
    After all I don't need it because I'm not going to upgrade my windows this way

MEGATHEMER​

Comment

The above seems to be the norm if it does not install. I think you are the lucky one.:good2:

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
        The above seems to be the norm if it does not install. I think you are the lucky one.:good2:
        and what about for those who installed this?
        MEGATHEMER​

Comment

Originally posted by everdin View Post
          and what about for those who installed this?
          That would be me and I don't know what to do. I am not having any problems. Maybe MS will come out with a solution?????????????

Comment

No need even if you don't plan to upgrade...its only three dll updated that already came with Windows 7 SP1.
            From a reliable source.

Comment

I found this from MS

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...c33c18e?auth=1
              everdin

Look way to the bottom.
              Last edited by Gary; 15-10-2014, 01:46.

Comment

That would be me and I don't know what to do. I am not having any problems. Maybe MS will come out with a solution?????????????
                you can do a system restore to a previous time and then the updates will come back again and you will exclude this
                MEGATHEMER​

Comment

I got the same as you guys im gonna leave well enough alone when windows craps it's a big one:JC-ROFL:

Sig by Cybacreep

Comment

Originally posted by beagleman View Post
                    I got the same as you guys im gonna leave well enough alone when windows craps it's a big one
                    Me too, and Elias I do not use system restore. MS is saying to leave it be. If I remove it , then I may have problems like George eluded to.:good2:

Comment

@Gary: I have used it a couple of times and it works perfectly for me but guess what I have installed this damn thing too
                      In the HISTORY of installed updates seems that it failed but I checked the LIST of installed updates and it is there :JC-ROFL:
                      MEGATHEMER​

Comment

Originally posted by everdin View Post
                        Gary I have used it a couple of times and it works perfectly for me but guess what I have installed this damn thing too
                        In the HISTORY of installed updates seems that it failed but I checked the LIST of installed updates and it is there :JC-ROFL:
                        SR really slows down your machine. Turn it off and restart and you will see the change. It does not work perfectly as it does not restore everything. I just do an image about every other day and sometimes everyday. It only takes 20-25 minutes and if I do a restore, it restored everything. About every 3 months I also clone my HD,
                        Last edited by Gary; 15-10-2014, 02:29.

Comment

SR really slows down your machine. Turn it off and restart and you will see the change. It does not work perfectly as it does not restore everything. I just do an image about every other day and sometimes everyday. It only takes 20-25 minutes and if I do a restore, it restored everything. About every 3 months I also clone my HD,
                          I do the same about image.not so often but I never noticed that my machine slows down with SR.Really it goes very fast,without SSD my windows loads in 30 sec and they go fast,no crashes,no freezing
                          MEGATHEMER​

Comment

I am a poor old retired guy on SS. I can't afford an SSD.:kez_15:

Comment

I am a poor old retired guy on SS. I can't afford an SSD.:kez_15:
                              but they don't cost so much LINK and there are many much cheaper than this
                              I have no ssd either but When next windows will be released I plan to buy a new powerful pc with ssd and many more :tease:

and btw I use Firefox 33
                              Last edited by everdin; 15-10-2014, 03:05.
                              MEGATHEMER​

Comment

Working...
                              X