Announcement

Collapse

We've updated our Privacy Policy in response to the new data privacy standards introduced by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

We have updated our Privacy Policy to comply with GDPR.
Meaning:
All new members have to agree on registration that we store some of your personal data like emails,names,ip addresses in our database.
If you have further questions about the new GDPR rules you can use the Contact Us link below the forum.
These updates will take effect on May 25, 2018 and by using MegaThemer.net on or after that date, you'll be agreeing to our new Privacy Policy.
See more
See less

Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 10Overview To help our customers become

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 10Overview To help our customers become

Overview

To help our customers become more secure and up-to-date, Microsoft will distribute Internet Explorer 10 as a high-priority update through Automatic Updates for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) x86 and x64, and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64. This Blocker Toolkit is intended for organizations that would like to block automatic delivery of Internet Explorer 10 to machines in environments where Automatic Updates is enabled. The Blocker Toolkit will not expire.
    • For computers running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, the Blocker Toolkit prevents the machine from receiving Internet Explorer 10 via Automatic Updates on the Windows Update and Microsoft Update sites.
    • The Blocker Toolkit will not prevent users from manually installing Internet Explorer 10 from the Microsoft Download Center, or from external media.
    • Organizations do not need to deploy the Blocker Toolkit in environments managed with an update management solution such as Windows Server Update Services or Systems Management Server 2003. Organizations can use those products to fully manage deployment of updates released through Windows Update and Microsoft Update, including Internet Explorer 10, within their environment.
    • If you used the Blocker Toolkit to block Internet Explorer 9 from being installed as a high-priority update, you need to use the Internet Explorer 10 version of the Blocker Toolkit to block Internet Explorer 10 from being installed. There are different registry keys used to block or unblock automatic delivery of Internet Explorer 9 and Internet Explorer 10.

Toolkit Components

This toolkit contains two components:
    • An executable blocker script
    • A Group Policy Administrative Template (.ADM file)

Supported Operating Systems

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) x86 and x64 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64
    Blocker Script

The script creates a registry key and sets the associated value to block or unblock (depending on the command-line option used) automatic delivery of Internet Explorer 10 on either the local machine or a remote target machine.
    Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\10.0
    Key value name: DoNotAllowIE10
    Value Result
    Key is not defined Distribution is not blocked.
    Distribution is not blocked.
    1 Distribution is blocked.
    The script has the following command-line syntax:
    IE10_Blocker.cmd [<machine name>] [/B] [/U] [/H]
    Machine Name

The <machine name> parameter is optional. If not specified, the action is performed on the local machine. Otherwise, the remote machine is accessed through the remote registry capabilities of the REG command. If the remote registry can't be accessed due to security permissions or the remote machine can't be found, an error message is returned from the REG command.
    Switches

Switches used by the script are mutually exclusive and only the first valid switch from a given command is acted on. The script can be run multiple times on the same machine.
    Switch Description
    /B Blocks distribution
    /U Unblocks distribution
    /H (or /?) Displays the following summary help:
    This tool can be used to remotely block or unblock the delivery of
    Internet Explorer 10 through Automatic Updates.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Usage:
    IE10_Blocker.cmd [<machine name>] [/B][/U][/H]
    B = Block Internet Explorer 10 deployment
    U = Allow Internet Explorer 10 deployment
    H = Help
    Examples:
    IE10_Blocker.cmd mymachine /B (blocks delivery on machine "mymachine")

IE10_Blocker.cmd /U (unblocks delivery on the local machine)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Group Policy Administrative Template (.ADM file)

The Group Policy Administrative Template (.ADM file) allows administrators to import the new Group Policy settings to block or unblock automatic delivery of Internet Explorer 10 into their Group Policy environment, and use Group Policy to centrally execute the action across systems in their environment.
    Users running Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows Server 2008 R2 (SP1) will see the policy under Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Classic Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update / Automatic Updates Blockers v3. This setting is available only as a Computer setting; there is no Per-User setting.
    Note: This registry setting is not stored in a policies key and is thus considered a preference. Therefore if the Group Policy Object that implements the setting is ever removed or the policy is set to Not Configured, the setting will remain. To unblock distribution of Internet Explorer 10 by using Group Policy, set the policy to Disabled.
    Related Resources

Internet Explorer 10 Blocker Toolkit: Frequently Asked Questions
    Internet Explorer 10 Delivery through Automatic Updates
    Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 10
    Internet Explorer 10 Product page
    Internet Explorer Administration Kit 10
    Internet Explorer 10 Guide for Developers (Windows)

I removed IE10 and it takes quite some time. The above does work and will Block it from your system.

How the Internet Explorer 10 Blocker Toolkit Works

Q. What testing should customers do to validate the Internet Explorer 10 Blocker Toolkit Microsoft is making available before using it?
    A. Because the Blocker Toolkit being provided by Microsoft relies on a new registry key that is used only for the purpose of disabling and re-enabling delivery of Internet Explorer 10, there should be no additional impact or side effect on the system. No additional testing should be necessary to validate the Toolkit.

Q. What registry key is being used to disable delivery of Internet Explorer 10?
    A. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup\10.0

Q. What is the key value name and what are the value options?
    A. The key value name is "DoNotAllowIE10". If the value is '1', automatic delivery of Internet Explorer 10 through Automatic Updates and the Windows Update/Microsoft Update site "Express" install option is disabled. If the value is not '1' or if the key doesn't exist, the system will be offered Internet Explorer 10 by Automatic Updates or if a user performs a manual update scan for important updates via the Windows Update/Microsoft Update sites.

Last edited by Gary; 18-10-2013, 13:32.

Re: Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 10Overview To help our customers bec

Interesting read. Now I have just 1 question.. What is the big idea or purpose behind blocking IE 10, or even IE9? Has there been vulnerabilities reported, or is it just the fact that Microsoft is trying to push it down our throats?

Join us at deviantart.com - -Click on logo..

Upload and share at our new YouTube channel - - Click on logo..

Comment

Re: Toolkit to Disable Automatic Delivery of Internet Explorer 10Overview To help our customers bec

Thanks for the thread Gary

Comment

Originally posted by HammerJack View Post
        Interesting read. Now I have just 1 question.. What is the big idea or purpose behind blocking IE 10, or even IE9? Has there been vulnerabilities reported, or is it just the fact that Microsoft is trying to push it down our throats?

It causes problems with Windows 7. The only time I used it I got a BSOD. If you read some of the links I provided you will find why. I had IE completely removed for about two years. I never use it so why have it? Your same question can be asked , "Why do you use third party themes?" It is the users choice, if you want problems especially with Aero, then install it. FWIW, the fix only prevents the auto download and install. if you choose to install it on Patch Tuesday it will.

Google is your fried:

http://www.daltonstate.edu/office-of...-Uninstall.pdf

In fact In Europe they filed a suit against MS becasue IE was bundled with Windows and they won.
        Last edited by Gary; 18-10-2013, 16:04.

Comment

Great info and thanks Gary.

Comment

@Gary:,
            Hey thanks for the heads up, I must have missed all the news about this one.
            I do run IE9 from time to time and never had any conflicts so to speak. I'm guessing that IE10 is compatible with 8??
            So are you saying you cannot simply un-check the download and then hide it ??? Or is bundled in a service pack or something???

Comment

You can uncheck and hide it but if your machine is set to auto update it will do so. IE10 was designed to work in Windows 8 and MS fooled with it so it can work in some Windows 7 machines, not mine and a whole lot of other people. If you don't use IE , it can be removed and you can still get to Windows Update without it.

Comment

That's right, I always have mine set on manual installs.
                Thanks again bud.

Comment

Working...
                X