Announcement

Collapse

We've updated our Privacy Policy in response to the new data privacy standards introduced by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

We have updated our Privacy Policy to comply with GDPR.
Meaning:
All new members have to agree on registration that we store some of your personal data like emails,names,ip addresses in our database.
If you have further questions about the new GDPR rules you can use the Contact Us link below the forum.
These updates will take effect on May 25, 2018 and by using MegaThemer.net on or after that date, you'll be agreeing to our new Privacy Policy.
See more
See less

Just a little help please - Installing Theme in Windows 8.1.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a little help please - Installing Theme in Windows 8.1.1

I'm trying to install my first theme from here. Have a few questions running through my head because of windows 8.1.1 and not being sure of how to do it anymore since a few years ago.
    I watched Dragan's video on Youtube on how to do it, but it left me with some questions in more detail.

1. Is it necessary to have "Theme Resource Changer"? And if so, does any body have a link to get it?

2. In the theme package, does "explorer.exe" and "explorer.dll need to be replaced in C:/Windows/System32?

Thanks in advance for any input and/or advice

Re: Just a little help please - Installing Theme in Windows 8.1.1

http://www.megathemer.net/showthread...ll=1#post13610

The above post may help you. It works with Windows 7. I do not know about Windows 8. Someone will come by.
    Last edited by Gary; 17-10-2014, 02:49.

Comment

Watch this by an expert member of MT
      MEGATHEMER​

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloJoe View Post
        1. Is it necessary to have "Theme Resource Changer"? And if so, does any body have a link to get it? [/QUOTE
        You can download TRC here at MT at this link [HERE]

2. In the theme package, does "explorer.exe" and "explorer.dll" need to be replaced in C:/Windows/System32?
        There is an explorer.exe in the %SystemRoot/Windows folder, but if it is a folder named explorer.exe and it contains .png images, that folder is used by TRC to change those resources inside it. That folder would go inside your custom theme folder.

Now when you ask about the explorer.dll, did you mean explorerframe.dll?
        I have never heard of a explorer.dll, but again TRC will use the resources inside a folder named explorerframe.dll and if this is the case, that folder also belongs inside your theme folder..

Could you please reference the specific theme you are trying to install, and where you downloaded it from??

PS,
        Our Theme Xtreme Starter Kit does NOT work on Win8..

Join us at deviantart.com - -Click on logo..

Upload and share at our new YouTube channel - - Click on logo..

Comment

Thanks for the reply here HammerJack, Yes the theme I'll try first out of 2 that I downloaded is Megathemer Machine Blue by POWEREDBYOSTX (thanks Dragan), yes I ment explorerframe.dll my bad, but yeah. I also downloaded ASUS ROG 8.1.1 Theme by Tiger & Mr351837 & PoweredByOstx ( thanks to those brothers) as well.

Currently while waiting for you guys responses, I did install in this order -

1. Start is back

2. Aero Glass for win 8.1

3. OldNewExplorer

I've yet to install UltraUX Theme Patcher and the latest version is 2.4 of it.

I guess at this point my thought is, does it make a difference which of these programs (Patcher and TRC) are installed first and in what correct order if any?

I did find TRC after a google search, but I'm going to check out the link you gave me just to make sure I have the most updated version if at all.

Now I did notice that the Machine Blue theme has on 1 of the 3 required folders by TRC - that being the explorer folder.

The other theme ASUS ROG has none of the folders mentioned in TRC.

So theres going to be some editing there I suppose. Thanks for everybody's help!

Comment

Yeah I did watch that video Everdin, it was helpful but left me needing a little more detail. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Thanks Gary

Comment

Yes the theme I'll try first out of 2 that I downloaded is Megathemer Machine Blue by POWEREDBYOSTX (thanks Dragan),
                I did send a tag notice to Dragan and he can help explain even more when he drops in again.

I guess at this point my thought is, does it make a difference which of these programs (Patcher and TRC) are installed first and in what correct order if any?
                No.. It does not matter in what order.

I did find TRC after a google search, but I'm going to check out the link you gave me just to make sure I have the most updated version if at all.
                There has only been one release/version of this app, but... There has been reported some bad copies out there floating around so be sure to download the copy from MT.

Now I did notice that the Machine Blue theme has on 1 of the 3 required folders by TRC - that being the explorer folder.
                The other theme ASUS ROG has none of the folders mentioned in TRC.
                Not all theme designers include the same resources with their downloads but you can always add your own to suit your taste.
                Last edited by HammerJack; 17-10-2014, 05:20.

Comment

I'll for sure take your directions on this Jack and follow your advice with the TRC from your link. Thanks for all your help and thanks for tagging Dragan as well. Gonna take me a minute to learn all the shortcuts and tricks with this forum. Only the second one I've ever been a member of haha. I'll post a pic of my desktop when I get streamed out with a theme. Thanks again brother. :good2:

Comment

Ok, heres where I'm at so far after working on this all night. Heres what I've learned.

1. In Windows 8.1.1 there is no such system folders called explorer.exe, explorerframe.dll, or shell32.dll to be used by TRC.

2. There is however files in the system32 folder under folder en-US, files called explorer.exe.mui, explorerframe.dll.mui, and shell32.dll.mui

3. After finding this out I thought hmmm, let me try removing Theme Resource Changer and see if it will change the themes. And it did! It did it with TRC also. So I uninstalled it.

4. A new problem now I'm having, both with TRC and without, is hideous characters in the upper left of my windows and trails of those characters and title bar words when I grab the windows and move it around, when its an active window.

5. I can click off the windows and make them in-active and they are clear then. Seems to be something with the aero glass effect.

6. There are no minimize, maximize, and close buttons in the upper right of any windows when the theme is loaded, both with and without TRC. But they're there, you just have to move the mouse up there and the words pop up and then you can close them etc.. You just don't see them is all.

7. Check the pic below of my desktop with loaded theme Machine Blue to see what I'm talking about. Dual monitors.

Screenshot (1).jpg

Any thoughts or ideas fellas? Thanks in advance.
                    Last edited by HammerJack; 17-10-2014, 13:24. Reason: Fixed previews

Comment

6. There are no minimize, maximize, and close buttons in the upper right of any windows when the theme is loaded, both with and without TRC. But they're there, you just have to move the mouse up there and the words pop up and then you can close them etc.. You just don't see them is all.
                      I don't currently have that theme installed but there are what's called 'hover over' buttons in a bunch of custom themes. They are designed to be hidden till you hover over them..

Comment

Yeah those buttons do not show up when hovering, but the words for close, maximize, and minimize will when its hit right. You have to sort of hunt for it.

But, today to try and get rid of the hideous characters in the upper left and the trails when moving the windows, I decided to remove AeroGlass. Now the buttons show up.

Heres what it looks like without AeroGlass.
                        Screenshot (2).jpg
                        Still looks pretty cool though. Would be nice to have the glass effect though.
                        Last edited by HammerJack; 18-10-2014, 05:00. Reason: Fixed previews

Comment

Working...
                        X