Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Budgets, Dreaming, Conflicts....What to do.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budgets, Dreaming, Conflicts....What to do.

As some of you know I'm starting a new build just as soon as I get a couple more bills out of the way, so in the mean time I'm working on the Planning and Dreaming Stage truing to get my Budget in Line and working out all of the Conflicts so as to have a Machine Specifically Built for what I need.

The needs are.

1) Gaming.
    2) Artwork.
    3) Programming.
    4) Electronics Engineering.

So for the Software on this is already figured out because I use the same software everyday but what Hardware to run??? That's the 5 Million Dollar Question. As for what I'm Presently running and giving me Headache after Headache is:

Asus Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt
    AMD Phenom II 965bk
    8 Gigs, 2x4gig Patriot Signature Series(First Edition with CL9 Clocks not Second with CL11 Clocks) PC3 1600
    ATI HD5870 1gig (Reference Card) which Sucks pretty badly have to Manually control the fan...
    Seagate 1.5t HD
    Standard LG DVD Burner

The reason for so little Hardware is simple, The Motherboard is a Major Pain-In-The-ASS! Most of my problems are documented by others with this same board so I'll make a small review for those that may want this board instead of the newer Crosshair V Formula-z which is a Bigger Nightmare but I'm not going into Asus's Newest Failures.

The Board is a Beautiful Work of Art in it's Design and Form but Asus left out several things with it to build it cheaper and charge More for it, Firstly (Noted other places) You can't use a USB Hub with this board at all it causes System Errors all over the place and ends up with Corrupted OS on the HD needing a FULL REINSTALL. The Reason for this as I've found and also the root to 90% of the other problems is when they Built the BIOS they use Modules and some of the Modules use Special Coding to achieve features like ROG Connect, the Custom UEFI Screens, and the Overclocking Ability. Well they left out BIOS Flashback which makes it impossible to fix a Corrupted BIOS without 'PAYING for a NEW BIOS Chip'...OUCH! More Money for ASUS I guess but also in the failure of this missing feature that all other ROG boards have and the Reprogramming of ROG Connect they left out the part of the Module that allows control of external USB hubs! Also you have Inconsistencies with the USB's on the Back Plane, meaning you have to be really careful what and Where you plug into it ie: the Keyboard and Mouse can't plug into anything other than the Black Ports on the Back otherwise you have System Instabulity worse than the Missing USB Hub Coding. I found this by examining other other Asus System BIOS's.

Next Problem is that the Board is really Picky about the Memory Modules, example My modules are perfectly fine in other Boards and even are recognized by BIOS but with the Crosshair V's I have to hold down the MEM-OK button to get it to start on First Boot and when ever it dumps the Configuration which is too often! and manually set the Memory Speed. This Failure is due to the BIOS lacking in AMP(AMD Memory Profiles) detection and Limited XMP Profiles of which is another missing part of a Module (Memory Detection in Hardware Detection). Yea the BIOS was SCREWED from the beginning and I don't think they spent any time fixing it but instead only added CPU Profiles over time and also the reason for lacking Notes on the New BIOS's.

Next is the Creative X-Fi that comes with this setup....OUCH!! it's a Monkey-F-ed version that is run thru a Realtek Chip and not the Creative Hardware! This is great if you have an External Amplified Speaker setup but with Headphones....well even I have a problem hearing the sound! because with the Creative Software installed it drops the Board Amps in half to almost off! What the F! well there goes buying a Great Set of Razor Tiamat 7.1 TrueSound 3D Headphones because you Can't Hear anything! I know I've tried a set! Just don't install the Creative Software in the first place and with some of the Windows Mods it conflicts with Creative anyway.

Now that I've listed the Major Bad Points lets go onto the OC'ing that this board was Made for! A great point is ROG Connect which ASUS seems to support more for the Inel Line than the AMD Line which allows you to use WiFi and or Bluetooth as well as the USB version only supported on the AMD line. With ROG Connect you can not only Monitor the system from a Second Computer but also change Timings and Fan Speeds as well as Monitor the Boot Process. This is great for Overclockers but Useless for Gamers. Next is the UEFI BIOS which is very well crafted to allow you the Most Control over the System that I've ever seen on any Motherboard. and lastly a Great feature in the BIOS is the Ability to Snapshot your setting for later use or Upload to a Web Site Straight out of BIOS and without the OS being Started! plus you can save your settings and Upload them as well for others to import and use.

This board is great for Overclockers but for Gamers most of the features are Useless! Come on! How many Gamers out there come home from Work and love to sit and watch 3 Hours of Prime95???? No one??? I thought as much! Most of us want to just sit down and get to playing our favorite games or do Artwork or what ever and the only OC'in we do is to get that extra 2 to 5 frames a second which is in truth WORTHLESS!

In another posting I'll start into reviewing my thoughts and Glimpses into Budgeting that new Build but for now I hope I've given all of you some insite to the Crosshair V line of products.

Happy Gaming! All. Now I'm going to Kill something on my Screen for a while!

Re: Budgets, Dreaming, Conflicts....What to do.

:OMG: sometimes ignorance like mine is better than knowledge :LOL1:
    MEGATHEMER​

Comment

So basically your looking for multi-core cpu, video card with 2+Gb of vram, possibly more/better ram or a board that will run existing at spec'd speeds an timings. Are ya more partial to AMD or Intel? Looking for any extra features in motherboard, easy overclockability, user friendly BIOS? It all boils down to what brand cpu ya wanna run, I've got friends that swear by AMD and other that do same with Intel. I can only offer info with Intel since that's pretty much all I've used, always wanted to do a AMD build but never really found a board that had the features my Intel boards have had. Plus since SandyBridge, OC'in Intel's is pretty damn easy to do now lol.

Comment

Get yourself 3 of those Video cards that Tiger Got. The Titan Black I think they are called. :imsohappy:On a serious note, why not check out an MSI board?
        Last edited by Gary; 22-04-2014, 16:22.

Comment

Thank you for the insight DC. I'm not a technical minded person, so your post helps a lot.
          I used to have a V Formula and now I have the Z. I really don't OC.
          I would appreciate your input for the Z.

Comment

Originally posted by Ordos View Post
            Thank you for the insight DC. I'm not a technical minded person, so your post helps a lot.
            I used to have a V Formula and now I have the Z. I really don't OC.
            I would appreciate your input for the Z.
            My MSI board is overclock-able with hardware and software settings but since I don't need it to be any fast, I don't want to muck it up.:kez_15:

Comment

Hey Jack this thread i tagged you now no one is tagged
              i see this on that message you sent HammerJack

Comment

Cybacreep, I also noticed you had tagged me but all it shows is 'moderated thread'....as a matter of fact every tag I got is showing only moderated thread with no link....?

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonCantor View Post
                  Cybacreep, I also noticed you had tagged me but all it shows is 'moderated thread'....as a matter of fact every tag I got is showing only moderated thread with no link....?
                  Something is going when John Megabink back on he will have a look

Comment

Originally posted by DaemonCantor View Post
                    it will say that if the thread was deleted no worries.

Sig by Cybacreep

Comment

Sounds Good Cybacreep I will wait, and Beagleman every thread that I get is like that and it's only like this in the last couple days.

Thank You both.

Comment

@CybaCreep:,
                        Did not get your mention notice on this but just happened to see the post.

And here is another mention for @Megabink: so hopefully he will see this issue about moderated tag notices..
                        He's the resident ALIEN smasher around here... :LOL1:

Join us at deviantart.com - -Click on logo..

Upload and share at our new YouTube channel - - Click on logo..

Comment

@HammerJack:

I just updated the Tag/mention addon...i will look in the setting!

Comment

mybad the only time I get that is a deleted thread.

Sig by Cybacreep

Comment

It's mostly fixed now except for the Occasional Deviant Don or Wife tages Both on Quoted Text and Tags now shows Content Hidden....Oh Well atleast I can see 90% of Tagged threads.:good2:

Comment

Working...
                              X