Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Myths Of Graphics Card Performance: Debunked and more

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...yths,3694.html

Did you know that Windows 8 can gobble as much as 25% of your graphics memory? That your graphics card slows down as it gets warmer? That you react quicker to PC sounds than images? That overclocking your card may not really work? Prepare to be surprised!

If you're an auto enthusiast, you've no doubt debated the performance of two sports cars with a friend at some point. One might have made more horsepower. Maybe it had a higher top speed, superior handling, or lighter weight. Typically, those conversations come down to comparing lap times on the Nürburgring and end when someone spoils the fun by reminding us that we can't afford any of the contenders anyway.
    In many ways, high-end graphics cards can be quite similar. You have average frame rate, frame time variance, noise from the cooling solution, and a range of price points, which can incidentally double the cost of a current-gen gaming console. And if you needed any further convincing, some of the latest video cards have aluminum and magnesium alloy frames, just like race cars. Alas, some differences remain. Despite my best attempts at impressing my wife with the latest graphics processor, she remains impervious.
    So, what is the lap time equivalent for a video card? What is the one measure that distinguishes winners from losers, cost being equal? It's clearly not just average frames per second, as demonstrated by all of the coverage we've given to frame time variance, tearing, stuttering, and fans that sound like jet engines. Then you get into the more technical specifications: texture fill rate, compute performance, memory bandwidth. What significance do all of those numbers hold? And, like a Formula 1 pit crew member, does your new card require headphones just to be tolerated? How do you account for the overclocking headroom of each card in an evaluation?
    Before we dig into the myths that envelop modern graphics cards, let's start by defining what performance is and what it is not.
    Performance Is An Envelope, Not One Number

Discussions of GPU performance are often distilled down to generalizations based on FPS, or average frames per second. In reality, a graphics card's performance includes far more than the rate at which it renders frames. It's better to think in terms of an envelope, rather than one data point, though. This envelope has four major dimensions: speed (frame rate, frame latency, and input lag), quality (resolution and image quality), quietness (acoustic performance, driven by power consumption and cooler design), and of course affordability.
    Other factors play into a card's value, such as game bundles and vendor-specific technologies. I'll cover them briefly, but won't try to weigh them quantitatively. Truly, the importance of CUDA, Mantle, and ShadowPlay support is very user-dependent.
    For the purposes of today's story, I'll specify performance as the frames per second a graphics board can output at a given resolution, within a specific application along the described envelope (and under the following conditions):

1. Quality settings in a given application set to their highest value (typically the Ultra or Extreme preset)
    2. Resolution set to a constant level (typically 1920x1080, 2560x1440, 3840x2160, or 5760x1080 in a three-monitor array)
    3. Driver settings at each manufacturer's defaults (whether global or application-specific)
    4. Operating in a closed enclosure at a set 40 dB(A) noise level measured three feet away from the enclosure (ideally, tested on a reference platform that gets updated annually)
    5. Operating with an ambient temperature of 20 °C/68 °F and one atmosphere air pressure (this is important; it directly affects thermal throttling)
    6. Core and memory operating at temperature equilibrium as far as thermal throttling is concerned (so that core/memory clock speeds under load remain fixed or vary within a tight range, given a constant 40 dB(A) noise level (and corresponding fan speed) target
    7. Maintaining a 95th percentile frame time variance below 8 ms, which is half a frame at a typical display refresh rate of 60 Hz
    8. Operating at or near 100% of GPU utilization (this is important to demonstrate a lack of platform bottlenecks; if there are bottlenecks, GPU utilization will be below 100% and the test results will not be very meaningful)
    9. Averaged FPS and frame time variance data from no fewer than three runs per data point, each run no less than one minute long, with individual samples exhibiting no more than 5% deviation from the mean(ideally we want to sample different cards of the same time, particularly when there is reason to believe a vendor's products exhibit significant variance)
    10. Measured with either Fraps for a single card or any built-in frame counter; FCAT is required for multiple cards in SLI/CrossFire
    As you can imagine, the reference performance level is both application- and resolution-dependent. But it's defined in a way that allows for independent repetition and verification of tests. In this sense, it's a truly scientific approach. As a matter of fact, we encourage the industry and enthusiasts alike to repeat the tests we perform and bring any discrepancies to our attention. Only in this way will the integrity of our work be assured.
    This definition of reference performance does not account for overclocking, or the range of behaviors a given GPU might exhibit from one card to another. Fortunately, we'll see that's only an issue in a few cases. Modern thermal throttling mechanisms are designed to eke out maximum frame rates in as many situations as possible, so cards are operating closer than ever to their limits. Ceilings are often hit before overclocking adds any real-world benefit.
    A great deal more is at the source link.

Re: The Myths Of Graphics Card Performance: Debunked and more

Now this is some interesting stuff.
    Thanks Gary..

Join us at deviantart.com - -Click on logo..

Upload and share at our new YouTube channel - - Click on logo..

Comment

Very interesting,good thread,thanks Gary.
      :good2::good2:

Comment

Thank you Gary.

Comment

Wow, that was very interesting my friend, thanks for sharing brother :)

Signature is made by our awesome friend CybaCreep, awesome work brother, i love it :)

If you like you can add me on PSN, it would be awesome :)

Comment

@Gary

Thank you very much beloved brother, I read often Tests from Toms Hardware page in past.

:thank_you::loving::imsohappy:

Be all blessed, be mindful, be confident and be happy.
            Be peaceful & in love with your next - it is YOU. Teach forgiveness.
            Your will will be done. What you give, you will receive.
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            ABOUT YOU, YOUR LIFE, YOUR FAMILY:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DgP...Jy5wg&index=12
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkP...ATQTcu0gRJy5wg
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0USI...ei0IIGDePbdnzC
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ez...IGsgKl&index=7
            -----------------------------------------------------
            THE-MY-YOUR-OUR TICKET HOME:
            http://www.acim.org

Comment

great post Gary thank you :good2:

Comment

Buying a new video card is a pain in the tail! So many different options and price points. Performance and longevity seem to be the winning factors for me. I usually replace my video card every 3 years. My next card will probably be on the lower end but still around $300. I hate to drop that kind of cash on a video card so I have been holding out.

Comment

interesting thanks.

Sig by Cybacreep

Comment

thanks for the share bro Gary

Sig made by cybacreep

Please Help And Support Our MegaThemer

Comment

You the man thanks Gary

Comment

I just ordered an EVGA GTX750 ti , it should arrive on Tuesday. It is far from the best but at least it will be better than my GTX 460 and it uses less power. Nvidia is also going to end support of these older cards soon.

Comment

Interesting read

Comment

wwooww...interesting

Comment

Working...
                            X